Canada’s capital city is located on the Ottawa River, on the border between the provinces of Ontario and Québec, and is intersected by the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Ottawa is a vibrant, multicultural city, with year-round festivals, concerts, and special events.
- Winterlude Festival
- Ottawa’s Canada Day festivities on July 1st are the biggest in the country!
While government is Ottawa’s biggest employer, the city is also a growing high-tech centre. Ottawa is home to several technology companies, including Nortel, Corel, Mitel, Cognos and JDS Uniphase, as well as regional offices for 3M, Adobe Systems, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and others. It is also a major centre for health science and pharmaceuticals, with companies like Nordion and i-Stat based there.
Places to Visit in Ottawa:
- ByWard Market, Canada’s oldest continuously operating farmers’ market and a popular shopping and dining location
- Canada Aviation and Space Museum
- Canada Science and Technology Museum
- Canadian Museum of History, across the river in Gatineau, Quebec
- Canadian Museum of Nature
- Canadian War Museum
- Confederation Square
- Gatineau Park trails
- National Gallery of Canada
- Parliament of Canada
- Public beaches
- Rideau Canal
Destinations Outside Ottawa:
- The 1,000 Islands, a scenic island chain on the St. Lawrence River east of Kingston, Ontario
- Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada’s oldest provincial park, located between Ottawa and Toronto
- Edelweiss Valley, a popular ski resort in the Gatineau region across the Quebec border
- Upper Canada Village, an open-air museum southeast of Ottawa
- For a weekend trip, Ottawa is perfectly located between Montreal, Québec and Toronto, Ontario—Canada’s two largest cities, offering a multitude of attractions, shopping destinations, concert halls, and sporting events.
Ottawa’s public transit network provides services to nearly one million people. With some services available 24 hours a day and over a dozen bus routes going through the University of Ottawa campus, OC Transpo is the preferred mode of transportation for students across the city of Ottawa.Explore Ottawa