1. Living Cost

Monthly living costs can vary per city and lifestyle, that’s why it’s important to research the cost of life according to the city you’re planning to move to. Keep in mind everyone has different basic costs, from housing, to food and transportation.

Check out this very useful online tool that will give you an idea of costs per city.

2. Housing

Looking for a place to live abroad can be overwhelming, especially if you haven’t done so yet. However, CALDO universities have Housing Offices that can assist students with finding accommodation, understanding rental agreements and bylaws, getting familiar with locations, amenities,z services.

Some tips to consider:

3. Health insurance for international students

  • All international students are required to have basic and extended health insurance for the duration of their studies in Canada. Health care can cost several thousands of dollars if you do not have valid insurance coverage. Family members should also have the same health coverage as you.
  • The international office at the university will assist you with subscribing the necessary insurance for your case.

4. Working while studying

  • On-campus: Your study permit gives you permission to accept on-campus employment as long as you’re registered in full-time studies. Confirm with the international office if there are certain conditions you must meet to work on campus.
  • Off-campus: you are eligible to work up to 20 hrs per week during regular study periods if you’re registered in full-time studies. In addition, students may also work full-time during academic breaks (summer, breaks between terms and reading week) if they hold full-time status during the academic term prior to, and subsequent to, the academic break. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required to work in Canada, you can obtain it as soon as you arrive at the airport or afterward at any Canada Post outlet or Service Canada office.

For more information visit this link

5. Working in Canada after your studies

According to the Canadian Immigration website, to work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.

  • A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) gives you permission to remain in Canada as a worker and work full-time after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution. See full eligibility details.  For more info visit this link.

Check out this resource:

The EduCanada website has put together a pre-departure guide for international students that we strongly suggest that you read, it talks about important aspects that will assist you in preparing your departure.