Expand All +/-

When should I start applying to a graduate program (Master’s and PhD)?

The application deadline is different for each of our member universities. That being said, for international students, application deadlines for September intake can be as early as December of the previous year, up to April of the year the program is expected to start.

Can I receive a scholarship awarded by CALDO?

CALDO does not offer scholarships directly but rather cooperates with international partners, including government agencies and educational institutions, to establish agreements that facilitate higher education mobility from Latin American countries and who offer full scholarships and/or loans for Master’s and/or PhDs. Under the agreements CALDO signs with Funding Agencies in Latin America, some Research Master’s programs, and PhD programs, are co-funded by the Funding Agency and the CALDO Member host institution.

  • Students who receive a scholarship from our funding partners for a Research Master’s will benefit from reduced tuition fees at the following Universities: The University of Alberta, the University of Saskatchewan and Western University.
  • For PhD programs, all CALDO member universities will cover the IDF and the difference is covered by the funder.

We can help you determine if your program of choice would be eligible under the different agreements. We are partnered with sponsoring agencies in 9 Latin American countries Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay.

Find out more here.

Do Canadian Universities offer scholarships for graduate studies? And if so, where can I find the information?

CALDO works with government agencies and educational institutions in Latin America that offer scholarships for students that want to study a Master’s or PhD program in Canada. Having said that, our member universities do offer scholarships by themselves, although scholarships vary from university to university and from faculty to faculty. We encourage students to visit the faculty webpage of the university of their interest to learn if there are any scholarships available.

What are the application requirements?

Application processes, requirements for admission, and program costs vary widely from university to university and program to program. Students must ensure to confirm the requirements on the individual program or department websites.

In general, students must meet a minimum academic average (or GPA) as well as a minimum language requirement. The minimum scores vary and meeting those minimum scores does not guarantee admission.

What are the minimum language requirements?

The minimum scores vary one university to the next and one program to the next. All of our Universities generally accept either the IELTS or the TOEFL language proficiency tests.

On average, universities require at least 6.0 on the IELTS or 86 on the TOEFL Internet-based test. Some Universities and some programs require higher scores.

See more information here.

For my application, what documents do I need to present?

In general, universities require students to include the following documents in their application:

  • A proof of language proficiency, usually the IELTS or TOEFL scores. See more information here. Your scores will need to be included in your application
  • Transcripts for all university studies, including copies of diplomas
, Letters of recommendation (each program will specify how many)
  • Statement of Research Intent: you can find more information on this subject here.
  • Your academic CV: This is different from a regular professional CV. Use our tips and tricks on how to write an Academic CV.

Do I need a research supervisor?

For Research Master’s and Doctoral studies, you will be working closely with a faculty research supervisor. A supervisor is a faculty member who mentors graduate students and for most of our academic programs.

Many research-based graduate programs expect students to identify a prospective supervisor prior to applying for admission. At CALDO we can also help you determine if this is a requirement, and also what steps you need to take to be successful in contacting with a supervisor.

You will find information on how to contact supervisors here.

When should I contact potential supervisors? Before I apply? Once I have applied?

Most research-based programs require students to identify a prospective supervisor prior to applying for admission. It is best to check with the graduate program you will be applying to, to find out if this is expected.

For some programs, you will need to secure a research supervisor prior to applying; in other instances, this is done after you are accepted to a program. It depends on the program, and the university.

You can watch this webinar for more information on how to contact a research supervisor.